Sunday 24 March 2013

HTC One X has broken!

So recently I broke my HTC One X. When I say broke you probably think I tripped and fell or smashed the screen or dropped it in the bath. However, what I actually did show an even higher level of ignorance than that.
I decided to go ahead and try and ROOT my HTC One X so that I could run the CynagenMod 10.1 on it so I'd have some beautiful Stock Android Goodness. However, no one told me that this is not an easy process with an HTC as you have to unlock the bootloader and install a whole bunch of other stuff before actually installing the ROM itself. Now after rooting the phone, installing the recovery mod and then downloading the CynagenMod, here's where everything goes wrong. I then went ahead and didn't backup my phone hoping that it would just work and that all my other data, contacts, media was all saved up in the cloud somewhere. However, no one told me that if you stupidly download the wrong CynagenMod version (like I did) that you cannot then go and reinstall your original HTC Sense ROM.

This resulted in my phone not being able to boot up, I could only boot it into recovery and additionally, I couldn't access it as a USB device to try and install a different ROM on it.

I woke up yesterday morning to find that despite charging all night, the phone would no longer even turn on and after attempting to contact HTC via Phone, Email and Chat I have had no luck and therefore have come up with a plan. An expensive plan unfortunately.

My plan is to sell my HTC One X, which despite it not working I can still get £70 for. Then sell my old HTC Desire also which DOES still work and is the current phone I am using to stay connected. However, it does not have internet connection (excluding WiFi) and no texts and calls either as the Sim can't be topped up as it's expired and no other Sim works in it.

So once I've sold these two, I'm going to go ahead and cash out another £145 (which would come to £250 which is how much it would be including shipping) roughly for a Nexus 4 which is an incredibly priced smartphone that is powerful AND would give me the stock Android experience I was after. Plus, you can't deny the Nexus 4 is a really good phone!

What have I learnt from this misdemeanor? I've learnt to ALWAYS back up if there is any slight chance that your phone may not work as a result of what you're about to do. Also, read EVERYTHING from the developer of the ROM you're trying to install as I just hit download without reading in big letters "WARNING DON'T USE NIGHTLIES 03.13 or ABOVE, BLOBS WERE TAKEN DOWN (DMCA) so the builds are screwed!

No comments:

Post a Comment