Friday 28 February 2014

Telegram is so fast!


Telegram is so fast!
Ever since WhatsApp went down and Facebook brought the company, a new messaging application called Telegram has been brought to the spotlight. A few days a go, I decided to download the application to see what all the fuss was about. Having replaced WhatsApp, it has to be a fairly decent app!
My first impression was that it was almost identical to WhatsApp in both looks and function. The layout is almost identical bar from the blue instead of the green and all the padding and size of everything seems almost identical. When I proceeded to message someone, it also looked majorly like WhatsApp with the same coloured text bosses, same size text and in general a very similar look and feel. This dissuaded me a little at first and made me think “what’s so different from this and WhatsApp”. 

After doing a little research, the main thing I found out was that every message is completely hidden and the application holds security in very high regard. This is something I can imagine a lot of people who seem to think that Facebook knows too much would find intriguing and pleasing about the application. In addition, the application is completely free and promises to be absolutely free throughout it’s whole life cycle. There are two major people behind the application, one who funds the project and the other who covers the technological side of the application.

One of the other major positives to this application is that it is a cloud-based service and the API has been openly released to allow anyone to build applications using the service. This means that there is already a beautiful Telegram application for Mac, there’s also applications for iOS (the version I’m using), Windows, Linux, Windows Phone, Android and potentially just about any platform that people are willing to build for. This means you can access chats, contacts and potentially pictures anywhere you open up your app. Also, due to it being a cloud service means you can send and receive unlimited messages/pictures/media files.
Now my main point and what I feels really makes the application worth a download and try. After playing with the app for a couple of days, I’ve seen that the application is blazing fast! The texts send and receive way faster than any other messaging application that I’ve ever used before. I don’t have an especially fast WiFi connection or 3G speeds but it still manages to amaze me with its’ speeds. I can send a text, hit the home button and by the time I’ve put the phone back in my pocket, my message had sent, the other person had received it, read it, sent a reply and I’d received it all before I’ve finished putting the phone back in my pocket.

This is also the first messaging application of which I’ve not yet experienced a certain message delaying. Every message I send reacts the exact same way in that it will send and it will show the double ticks as soon as the other person has read it. It really gives you a reliable feeling that the other person will receive every message you send and you’ll always knows if they’ve read it or not. It’s really quite a solid and brilliant experience.

My summary of Telegram is that I believe they’ve taken WhatsApp, they’ve made it blue and in the process have made it better. I feel that if more of my contacts got the application, I would prefer it to WhatsApp/Messenger/Hangouts/iMessage. You can’t say no to a messaging app that is fast, reliable, can be picked up anywhere and allows you to send/receive everything an unlimited amount of times for absolute free forever.

Are you going to try out Telegram? What are your feelings 
of  Facebook's acquisition of WhatsApp? What's your 
favourite messaging application?
Download Telegram for iOS Here!
Download Telegram for Android Here!

      TWITTER    TUMBLR    INSTAGRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment